What’s a supermoon? It’s a new or full moon closely coinciding with perigee – the moon’s closest point to Earth in its monthly orbit. An astrologer, Richard Nolle, coined the term supermoon over 30 years ago, but now many in astronomy use it as well. Are supermoons hype? Well they can cause real physical effects, such as larger-than-usual tides. In ancient times, astronomers used an instrument called a diopter to measure the moon’s angular diameter, noting the variation in size of close and far moons.
According to the definition of supermoon coined by Nolle, there are two supermoons in January this year as stargazers are treated to two of the brightest supermoons of 2018.
New moons and Full moons qualify as supermoons.
The moon is full, or opposite Earth from the sun, once each month. It’s new, or more or less between the Earth and sun, once each month. Every month, as the moon orbits Earth, it comes closest to Earth. That point is called perigee. The moon always swings farthest away once each month; that point is called apogee.
The new moon or full moon has to come within 361,524 kilometers (224,641 miles) of our planet, as measured from the centers of the moon and Earth, in order to be considered a supermoon.
The moon won’t come this close again until the full moon of November 25, 2034.
Spring tides will accompany the supermoons. All full moons and new moons combine with the sun to create larger-than-usual tides, but closer-than-average full moons (or closer-than-average new moons) elevate the tides even more.
The closestmoons of the year are bound to accentuate the spring tide all the more, giving rise to what’s called a perigean spring tide. If you live along an ocean coastline, watch for high tides caused by the perigean full moon.
This time is going to be extremely powerful, if you practice witchcraft use a spell that you really need strong results from. Enjoy this amazing power to bring forth the things that you NEED most.
Moon Magic ……
Moon workings can be done from the day of the new or full moon to three-and-a-half days after. Whether for starting new ventures, new beginnings, love and romance, health or job hunting, this Supermoon marks the point where things start to heat up. Our new beginning is within our grasp now and this is a time where it should become much more apparent.
Endings create drama and beginnings are never that easy to embark upon. Something in the universe is pushing us to do something new and this is where the magical part comes in. One could even argue that Supermoons themselves are magical. If you’ve been aware of their presence in the past you would certainly agree. They create higher awareness, consciousness and unexpected events.
The new moon is the birthing cycle of the moon’s various phases. Are you ready to attract your heartfelt longings by doing a moon ritual focused on manifestation? The new moon phase is an optimal time for planning and seeding your intentions. Seedlings need a period of gestation before they break through the soil and reach for the sunlight. This is also true for cultivating our ideas and clearing the way for our visions to surface in reality.
5 Step Moon Manifestation Ritual
1. Cleanse your sacred area with sage or your favorite incense
2. Light one or more candles.
3. Center your being and calm yourself in whatever way is appropriate for you. Take some deep cleansing breaths.
4. Open a notebook and date the first page. Write down these words “I accept these things into my life now or something better for my highest good and for the highest good of all concerned” or something similar. Below your affirmation statement, begin writing down your desires. Your list may consist of a single item or you may have several pages listing multiple items. Try not to limit yourself. If having many things in your life helps to fulfill you then don’t deny yourself wanting these things.
5. A second notebook can be used as a manifestation scrapbook where you can paste in pictures or catalog clippings of items that you are wanting to manifest. Creating manifesting scrapbooks or vision boards is a fun project to undertake, enjoy yourself! You will soon be amazed how these things begin to find their way into your life once you start this process.
During the month when an item on your moon list comes to you don’t merely cross it off of your list. Take the time to rewrite the list in its entirety eliminating the manifested item from the listing. Revising your master list in this way is highly recommended. At the same time you may add whatever else that you have decided you would like. Feel free to reword any of the original phrases to better suit your life now. It is natural that your desires will change as time advances.
The Jan. 31 supermoon is also the second full moon of January, making it a blue moon, and also occurs during a total lunar eclipse.
Any magical work done in a blue moon can also help with your intuition and spiritual growth.